Medela - Breastmilk Bottle With Calma Teats
This variant is currently sold out
• Babies apply their own natural feeding behaviour
• Babies can pause and breathe during the feeding session
• There is only one size, suitable for the entire breastfeeding duration
• Made from safe BPA-Free materials
• Easy to clean and assemble
Medela Calma Feeding Solution
Calma is a feeding solution designed for breastfed babies. It does not interfere with breastfeeding, and lets your baby feed in a similar way that it learned at the breast. The Calma method is just like breastfeeding, because your baby:
▪ Can drink, pause and breathe in a natural rhythm, remaining calm and settled, just like on the breast
▪ Needs to create a vacuum to start the milk flow, just like he/she does while breastfeeding
▪ Continues its natural way of sucking, allowing an easy transition from breast to Calma and back to breast again
Calma helps the baby to avoid ingesting air during the feed with a specially designed venting system. While the principle of venting is similar to other teats, Calma is regulated by a venting system that works every time, regardless of how tightly it is secured to the baby feeding bottle. Babies will be more likely to feed calmly, in their own natural rhythm.
How is Calma different from other teats?
Each baby can synchronise individually with Calma. When breastfeeding, each baby’s natural rhythm for sucking is unique but they all need to create a vacuum to remove milk from the breast Calma also allows the baby to keep its own, natural rhythm of suckling and to create a vacuum for the milk to flow. This similarity between breastfeeding and suckling with Calma means that the baby can easily return to mother’s breast and enjoy breastfeeding benefits and bonding for longer.
In contrast, conventional nipples change the mechanics of how your baby feeds, so it has to learn a new feeding method. As this usually requires less sucking effort, your baby may find it easier and over time be unwilling to go back to breastfeeding which requires more effort.
One size and shape fits all. The flow, shape and length of Calma are designed to suit your baby''s needs as they grow. With Calma your baby can continuously adjust the feed to their changing needs. So instead of comparing and searching for different teat shapes and sizes, you can buy the one-size-fits-all Calma. Just don’t forget to replace Calma every three months to ensure the highest hygienic standards for your baby.
Tips and Tricks to Support of New and Experienced Mums
It’s quite normal for your baby to be a bit fussy in the beginning when introduced to Calma; after all, this could be the first time it has come into contact with something other than the mother’s breast. While to us Calma looks perfectly normal, to your baby, it doesn’t smell, taste or feel like its mother’s breast. So have patience and try these tips:
▪ Let another adult (other than the mother) do the first feed with Calma.
▪ Hold your baby in a different position to how it feeds at the breast to establish a new way of feeding
▪ Dip the tip of Calma’s silicone part into the expressed breastmilk before starting the feed
▪ Hold Calma at an angle of about 45 degrees to your baby’s lower lip
▪ To encourage your baby to open its mouth to take Calma, stimulate the baby’s lip as you would with breastfeeding
▪ When your baby opens its mouth, place Calma on the tip of its tongue and do not push Calma in - your baby will take Calma in as far as it needs, just as it learned on the breast
▪ During the entire feeding process, leave Calma in the position your baby has chosen and do not interrupt the process
Don’t give up on Calma as it may take several tries for your baby to learn how to use it. If your baby has already used another teat, be aware that Calma works differently. Calma’s milk flow is controlled by the interaction between the way your baby sucks and the milk-flow control system. It is quite unlike a conventional teat – so just be patient.